Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Winter Solstice Paddle

Each year on the Winter Solstice RICKA has a paddle on the Slocum River in South Dartmouth. I’ve paddled this river a number of times. I maintain it is the prettiest river in Massachusetts. But for some reason I’ve never done this paddle in winter.

Seven showed up for the paddle. TM, CM, JS, PH, KF, CR, and PB. We were all suited up in our dry suits as we shoved off into the bottom third of the tide. The sun was shining brightly and the winds were light. The first ½ mile was very pleasant but we quickly ran into ice. TM and PH led the way, carving through with their plastic boats. At first the ice was merely a nuisance because it was soft, as you typically expect in salt water. But as we went further it became more than a ½ inch thick and difficult to break through with the paddle. This went on for a half mile or so. I tried to be last in line through the ice. Not because I didn’t want to work. But because I didn’t want to scratch my new boat on its maiden voyage.

There were plenty of ducks to be seen and a couple of hawks floating over the nearby woodlands. The paddling was easy until we reached Potomska Point and had to navigate the sand bar protecting (or confounding?) the river. The channel passes to the east and although that side is the side I prefer the group was determined to take a shortcut and head towards Barneys Joy Point. We found a way through that only required a gentle rub on the bottom of the boats.

We stopped for lunch at a pocket in the dunes just past the rocky section of shoreline. This location afforded us some protection from the wind which had picked up with the coming of the clouds. CM brought some special beverage and we toasted to the winter solstice. From now on the days will be getting longer. I can’t wait for spring! As we ate lunch CR was the only one to admit that her feet were cold. But I felt the same. Mine weren’t painfully cold but they were uncomfortable.

Without the sun it wasn’t comfortably warm feeling. We finished up lunch and headed back out again. As I backed my boat into the 6-12 inch surf it was just large enough to dump a few gallons of water into my cockpit. Great, just what I needed for my cold feet.

It took a surprisingly long time for TM and CM to get off the beach. I never did figure out why. Meanwhile KF played around the rocks trying to get as much excitement as he could. CR and I were not quite as determined but she did get caught by an unexpected wave that instantly turned her towards shore and surfed her towards a rock. She avoided it with ease but I felt a little bad that I didn’t warn her it was coming.

Our short stay on the beach for lunch didn’t give the tide a long time to change and put some more water in the river. As we approached “Deep Water Point” we all had to try various methods of getting over the sand bar. This included pulling with the paddle and getting out of the boat and walking. I chose to push off the bottom with my hands which kept me in my boat but certainly made my hands cold quickly.

Once over the bar it was smooth paddling back to the launch. The icy section had opened up and no more ice breaking was required.

Back at the launch KF joined in and admitted his feet were ice cold too. We all did what we could to get our boats loaded up and get warm. For some reason there was no post paddle meal. We all wished each other a happy holiday and went our separate ways.

So it was a very uneventful paddle in contrast with some of the more recent outings. But anytime you are out on the water with friends in December it’s a great day.

12/22 Air and water upper 30’s, Wind SE at 10. 12.5 miles round trip.

No comments: